[Proposal] ZenCash in Japan

Dear ZenCash team, hi ZenCash community.

I would like to help spreading the word of ZEN in Japan.

[INTRODUCTION]
About myself
My name is Sebastian. I am 32 years old and live in Japan for private and professional reasons. I was born in Germany and lived there until I completed studies in 2012. Already during High School, I developed interest in Japan and Japanese. I started studying on my own, visited language school, completed a half year internship during studies in Japan and moved here in 2012 permanently.
Before I studied automotive engineering from 2007 to 2012 and became a mechanical design engineer, I completed a 3-year apprenticeship as IT systems engineer. Since childhood I have great interest in computers and new technologies and even though I decided to become an automotive engineer I never lost that interest.

Motivation
To be honest, when I first learned about Bitcoin many years ago, I was skeptical and did not invest into it, but with the recent developments around cryptocurrencies and the growing acceptance as alternative currencies I decided to get involved. While building mining rigs, mining, hosting node server, trading and using cryptos I thought myself all basics regarding blockchain technology. However, there is always something to learn which makes it exciting. I believe that cryptocurrencies are the future and are here to stay.

ZenCash
It was August 2017 when I first read an article about ZENCash. I did my research and I was very impressed by the individuals gathered as a team around ZEN. The idea not to just provide another Equihash based currency but also the whole system around it makes ZEN stick out. It might be only my personal feeling but I expect a bright future for ZEN. It has all the technical necessities, a promising team and communicates a strong vision to the community. I want to be part of the team and help ZEN to become an accessible but safe and easy to use cryptocurrency in Japan.

My contribution
Because of my location but also because of my knowledge about Japan and its culture I would like to support ZEN by expanding the Japanese community and provide professional support by helping the ZEN team to make decisions on directions in the Japanese market and represent ZEN during negotiations with Japanese exchanges, companies and stores.
I have thought about possible deliverables for the next 1-3 months and would like to propose them to you. Budget and deliverables itself are of course negotiable.

[PROPOSAL]

ZenCash in Japan
Positioning of ZEN as cryptocurrency on the Japanese market by evaluating and sourcing ways to buy, possess and spend ZEN in Japan.

Overview / Introduction
The Japanese currency market is especially difficult to conquer as Japan is a cash driven society. Even though the acceptance for paper-less payment is growing, the preferred method of payment is still cash. Compared to countries like China where paperless We-chat payments are almost normal, Japan is currently only accepting the following forms of payment:

• Cash
  • Debit-cards
  • Credit-cards
  • Edy cards (Prepaid)
  • Edy mobile (Prepaid)
  • Various Prepaid IC cards (Prepaid, have to be charged with cash)
    Internet payment methods are:
  • Debit- and Credit cards
  • Prepaid cards for special purposes

Even though internet payment services exist (e.g. PayPal), the acceptance is very low.
Providing reliable information and building a community in the early stage is essential for gaining trust and acceptance. Getting Japanese to actually use Zen as paper-less payment method however will require a couple of stages and can take up to 4-5 years. Especially the ease of use and safety will be important to gain acceptance in Japan.
I therefore recommend the following stages for approaching the Japanese market:

• Stage 1 – providing information in Japanese and build a community platform for Japanese (currently ongoing)
  • Stage 2 – Approaching Japanese Zen supporters to support growing the community (currently ongoing)
  • Stage 3 – Approaching the broad by participating in public events, represent ZEN on fairs, consider sponsorships, giveaways, etc.
  • Stage 4 – Evaluate and commence negotiation with stores and online platforms to accept Zen as payment method as well as places and platforms to buy ZEN.
  • Stage 5 – Push for acceptance of ZEN as payment method on public transport and as replacement for current IC cards.
  • Stage 6 – Propose ZEN as global payment method to Japanese Companies.

There will be small steps in between these stages and most of them should be handled simultaneously.

Scope of my contribution to ZEN
I would like to concentrate on stage 3 and 4 as well as the stages afterwards. My goal is to not just spread the word of ZEN in Japan, but also negotiate with companies and stores regarding acceptance of ZEN as payment method. Because of the current society, Japan will require a bit more patience and a different approach than other countries.
I would like to become part for the ZEN team and provide the following deliverables over the next 3 to 4 months. Upon delivery, I would like the ZEN team to decide whether I should increase my involvement with ZEN or not.
In addition to working on the deliverables I would also like to put effort into building the community in Japan. As the result is only measurable in engagement from Japanese I would like to add Measurables as a bonus for me if successful.

Deliverables

1. General research on cryptocurrency status in Japan. Update action plan.
  2. Information about Japanese exchange platforms
  3. Information about potential cooperation with stores
  4. Approach internet exchange platforms to enlist ZEN
  5. Approach stores and companies in Japan to negotiate acceptance of ZEN as payment method
  6. Approach stores and companies in Japan to negotiate exchanging YEN for ZEN
  7. Representation of ZEN on cryptocurrency events in Japan

Deliverables Details

• Deliverable 1: Do research and provide reliable information about the Japanese market. Update the team so that it can decide on how to proceed. The current action plan should be updated after review of the research results
  • Deliverable 2: Conduct research on Japanese exchange platforms and evaluate which platform to approach for enlisting ZEN
  • Deliverable 3: Conduct research on stores and companies willing to provide ZEN service in Japan and evaluate which to approach for further negotiations
  • Deliverable 4: Optimal outcome is a signed contract or an agreement with exchange platforms in Japan
  • Alternative outcome is a report on the negotiation process, acquired contacts and why negotiations did not lead success
  • Deliverable 5: Optimal outcome is a signed contract or an agreement with one major store or company in Japan
  • Alternative outcome is a report on the negotiation process, acquired contacts and why negotiations did not lead success
  • Deliverable 6: Optimal outcome is a signed contract or an agreement with one major store or company in Japan
  • Alternative outcome is a report on the negotiation process, acquired contacts and why negotiations did not lead success.
  • Deliverable 7: 1 Day representation of ZEN on a cryptocurrency event in Japan.

Measurables

1. Increase in ZEN Wallet Users in Japan
  2. Increase in ZEN Mining Workers in Japan
  3. Increase in ZEN Secure Nodes in Japan
  4. Increase in Social Media followers from Japan

Schedule of Deliverables
● Deliverable 1: 14 days after proposal acceptance
● Deliverable 2: 30 days after proposal acceptance
● Deliverable 3: 30 days after proposal acceptance
● Deliverable 4: 90 days after proposal acceptance
● Deliverable 5: 90-120 days after proposal acceptance
● Deliverable 6: 90-120 days after proposal acceptance
● Deliverable 7: on request

All deliverables and measureables are only proposals and can be adjusted according to the needs of the ZEN team. The main focus in this phase is to gain acceptance of ZEN as a cryptocurrency, however the safety and privacy aspects of ZEN will be essential for this gain.

Budget
The actual cost for the deliverables should be decided on time based on the ZEN exchange rate and the value of the deliverable for ZEN.
Generally, I would like to invest about 16 hours a week into the deliverables and growing the Japanese community in the beginning, which I am willing to increase if necessary.
Expenses including but not limited to travel and presentation material will be discussed with the team in advance. In general, I expect travel to Tokyo to be necessary for the negotiations with exchange platforms, stores and companies. One way travel costs about 12000yen and I expect there to be at least two 2-way travels for each negotiation.

Closing
Japan is certainly not an easy market for cryptocurrencies and it will take a lot of effort to improve the acceptance of them. However the interest is rising and with the right positioning of ZEN on the Japanese market it should be possible to get a head start compared to other currencies! Furthermore, security and privacy is a very important aspect in Japan and probably one of the main reasons why people do not like traceable payment methods. Communicating all the privacy and security aspects of ZEN to potential users in Japan is one of the major tasks from now on. Let’s get going!

Excellent proposal, love the enthusiasm, background, motivation, and planning. Would love to add you to the team along with @Taiga who has started an effort in Japan already. We should discuss collaboration…

Thank you for your reply. I am already in touch with Taiga and Jane and hope to be working with them and the team soon.

Great, lmk if there’s anything i can do to help…look forward to hearing more about this.

Welcome aboard Sebastian.